Jobs & Internships
Director of Development
About Discovering Justice
Discovering Justice is a nonprofit leader in civic education. We prepare young people to value the justice system, realize the power of their own voices, and embrace civic responsibility by connecting classrooms and courtrooms. From our waterfront home in Boston’s Moakley U.S. Courthouse, we offer innovative in-school curriculum, afterschool mock trial programs, and courthouse field trips that teach more than 20,000 Massachusetts elementary and middle school students each year about the justice system, the role of law in a democratic society, and the fundamental importance of good citizenship.
Discovering Justice seeks a Development Director who will work closely with the Executive Director to design and lead a resource development department to fund our civics education programs serving kindergarten through eighth grade from schools across Massachusetts.
We are seeking a seasoned development professional with a dynamic personality who is eager to oversee and grow our base of support from all sources, cultivate relationships with existing and prospective donors, and work closely with an accomplished team of passionate educators to shape the narratives that explain the work of Discovering Justice to potential stakeholders.
In partnership with the Executive Director, the Director of Development would create and execute a comprehensive development plan to identify, cultivate, and solicit a minimum of $1.3 million in donations annually from foundations, corporations, law firms, and individuals. Components of the Development Plan would include:
- Oversee all operational aspects of a comprehensive Development program
- Lead the search and acquisition of a Development Associate staff person
- Serve as administrator and integral member of the Development Committee
- Work effectively with members of the Board of Trustees, developing relationships with each and leveraging their talents, resources, and ideas to enhance fundraising
- Create a timeline and strategy for annual appeals using print and digital media
- Manage all annual appeals
Corporations & Foundations
- Research, identify, and initiate new grant opportunities
- Manage a proposal and reporting calendar with tracking system
- Write grant proposals and reports according to corporate and foundation giving guidelines
- Manage any externally-contracted grant writers contributing to proposal work
- Expand existing base of major donors; identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors
- Prepare major giving portfolios for the Executive Director and select Trustees to pursue donor meetings; track and follow up on all solicitation process
- Oversee external relations events such as house parties and the annual Gala
- Maximize donor relations opportunities at other organizational events such as mock trials
- Oversee the Development Associate’s management of the Raiser’s Edge database and CRM software
- In conjunction with the Development Associate, produce regular fundraising reports to track progress
- Coordinate strategies for external communications to deliver consistent organizational branding and messaging
- Oversee the use of social media for advancing fund raising activities
- Manage all operational activities related to fundraising efforts
We are seeking a Development Director who is highly motivated, personable, organized, and passionate about civic education, social justice, and issues concerning diversity and inclusion.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree and seven or more years of development experience
- Proven record of successful engagement of individual, corporate, and foundation donors
- Demonstrated success in grant research and proposal writing
- Excellent organizational, managerial, and interpersonal skills
- Warm and engaging personality, a sense of humor, and an ability to mobilize key constituents
- Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge or industry standard database
- Passionate commitment to the mission of Discovering Justice
Competitive annual salary commensurate with experience, including the following benefits package:
- Health, dental, and life insurance
- 403(b) retirement plan, with additional 5% of salary contributed by Discovering Justice
- Pre-tax transportation plan
- Paid holidays, vacation days, personal days, and sick leave including annual office closure between Christmas Eve – New Year’s Day.
- To work with dynamic staff and volunteers on the cutting edge of social impact in social-civic education
- Independence to customize a multi-faceted development program
- Option to work 80% of full time hours, with pro-rated salary
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Discovering Justice is committed to equal opportunity employment practices. Candidates of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ candidates are encouraged to apply.
This posting will remain open until the position is filled.