Jobs & Internships
Executive Director Job Opening
The Executive Director’s responsibilities will include:
Leadership and Management
- Lead the development and execution of a Strategic Plan, which will guide the organization’s work over the next 3-5 years, and monitor progress to goals.
- Serve as a respected public voice for civics education and law-related education for younger students and help develop and strengthen Discovering Justice’s distinctive approach.
- Ensure ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Trustees; serve as ex-officio of each committee; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for both ongoing local operations as well as for broader expansion.
- Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents.
- Build partnerships with school districts, peer organizations, and other external stakeholders, positioning Discovering Justice as a leader in the civics education field.
- In collaboration with the Chief Operating Officer and the Board Finance Committee, oversee the organization’s finances to ensure sustainability.
- Supervise Chief Operating Officer and Development Director, and possibly other staff.
- Foster collaboration and engagement across all staff.
Fundraising & Communications
- Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and expansion.
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities.
- Work with the Development Director to refine all aspects of communications (from web presence to external relations) with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
- Track record of effectively leading and scaling a performance- and outcomes-based organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
- Experience in civics, education, or youth development. Bachelor’s Degree required, with an advanced degree in business, nonprofit management, public policy, public administration, or another relevant field preferred.
Salary Range: $125,000+, commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package included.
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 10, 2018. No phone calls, please.
The landscape of civics education in Massachusetts is changing rapidly, and we are looking for a passionate, highly experienced non-profit leader to help position Discovering Justice for programmatic and geographic expansion in the coming years. The Executive Director will provide vision, program oversight, board stewardship, and fundraising expertise to the organization.
Chief Program Officer Job Opening
The Chief Program Officer will provide skilled leadership for all aspects of DJ’s programs, with a priority on strategic program development and innovation, data-driven decision-making, team-building and talent-development, and external relationship-building. The CPO will strengthen and refine the organization’s existing program model; drive the exploration of new programmatic opportunities; oversee program evaluation; and represent DJ’s programming and impact to external audiences. The Chief Program Officer reports to the Executive Director, and will serve as a member of a 4-person executive team, collaborating closely with other organizational leaders, including the finance and development teams. This role provides an extraordinary opportunity for a talented leader to shape and develop programs and work with a passionate and committed team in an organization with strong programs, at a moment of extraordinary opportunity for the field of civics and justice education.
Strategic Program Development
- Develop a vision and strategy for program growth and evolution, which will involve planning and developing additional program models/components, developing or pursuing new funding opportunities in collaboration with the finance and development teams, and representing DJ’s program opportunities, results, and impact to the board.
- Conduct outreach and recruit school partners for programming, conducting assessments of the feasibility and strategic value of new partnerships.
- Continue to build research-informed and evidence-based practices and resources for students, teachers, and administrators. Oversee development/revision of standards of practice, and tools to manage to those standards, including codification of program materials and processes.
- Oversee the organization’s data and evaluation work, collaborating with program staff and evaluation consultants, as needed, in order to provide program data to evaluate programmatic impact and monitor progress toward goals.
- Partner with executive team to determine the best management structure to ensure programmatic excellence, strong partnerships, and professional growth.
- Oversee fiscal management of all programs in collaboration with the executive team, including creating programmatic budgets. Hold program staff accountable for budget management.
- Supervise the Education Director and Legal Programs Manager, while providing mentorship, guidance, and accountability to other members of the Program Team.
- Collaborate on special projects, as needed.
External Outreach and Partnerships
- In partnership with the Executive Director, represent Discovering Justice’s work to external audiences; establish and maintain strong working relationships with external stakeholders, including, but not limited to, the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, school district leadership, teachers, peer education organizations, and funders.
- Serve as a partner to the Executive Director & Development Team in donor/foundation stewardship processes; contribute to building supporters’ understanding of our work and impact. Champion program staff contributions to development and fundraising efforts.
- Experience leading in nonprofit or education settings, with success leading multi-faceted programs, working within organizational structures with a range of stakeholders.
- Experience hiring and retaining program staff and leading through transitions and growth.
- Experience in program evaluation; Proven track record of developing and managing high quality programs, program models, tools, and resources to increase program efficacy, and of leveraging data to drive continuous learning and program improvement.
- Strategic thinking and demonstrated success in program innovation.
- Exceptional managerial experience, with an inclusive leadership style, skill in giving and receiving feedback, the ability to hold staff accountable and drive continuous improvement, and experience in change management.
- A demonstrated understanding of and commitment to civics education.
- Ability to thrive in a high autonomy/high accountability environment, and to adapt to changing circumstances, working flexibly in order to handle multiple priorities.
Salary: $110,000+, commensurate with experience.
To apply: Please email your resume and a relevant cover letter with “Chief Program Officer” in the subject line to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Education Director Job Opening
The Education Director is responsible for overseeing curriculum development, and for providing professional development for teachers utilizing our Children Discovering Justice curriculum. We are seeking an experienced educator who is collaborative, personable, visionary, organized, familiar with school settings, technologically savvy, and passionate about civic education.
- Recruit new school partners seeking to implement our literacy-based social studies/civics curriculum in grades kindergarten through eight.
- Oversee curriculum revisions and development for in-school and field trip programs.
- Create, revise, and facilitate professional development workshops for educators, with an emphasis on cultural competency.
- Build and maintain relationships with districts, principals, and teachers to facilitate curriculum implementation and participation in Courthouse field trips.
- Supervise the Senior Program Associate and Programs & Operations Associate, as well as curriculum-related consultants.
- Participate in developing and overseeing assessments to monitor program effectiveness and impact; work with evaluation consultants as needed.
- Prepare annual program budgets.
- Collaborate on special projects, as needed.
- 5+ years of successful teaching experience, with a minimum of three years at the elementary level (must include teaching social studies), preferably in an urban school district.
- Experience designing and executing professional development for teachers.
- Experience developing K-8 curriculum.
- Substantial familiarity with the 2018 Massachusetts History and Social Science Framework.
- Ability to establish collaborative working relationships with DJ staff and educators.
- Passion for culturally-responsive education, inclusivity, and civic engagement.
- Demonstrated ability to manage time effectively, balance multiple competing priorities, and remain adaptable, flexible, and positive while navigating challenges.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or Bachelor’s degree in another field plus a Master’s degree in Education required.
Salary Range: $80,000+, commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package included.
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter with “Education Director” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 22, 2019. No phone calls, please.
About Discovering Justice:
The mission of Discovering Justice is to prepare young people to value the justice system, realize the power of their own voices, and embrace civic responsibility by connecting courtrooms and classrooms. By providing students with an enriching, experiential civics education that emphasizes critical thinking, compassion, and self-discernment—values that underpin our democracy—we can prepare young people for the opportunity of democratic citizenship, cultivate empathy across social and cultural barriers, and empower voices that might otherwise go unheard. By working with students from a young age—programs begin in kindergarten—we ensure by the time students reach adolescence, they view democratic citizenship as an important part of their identity.
At Discovering Justice, we celebrate diversity, and our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve. As such, we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.