Jobs & Internships
Executive Director, Discovering Justice
Headquarters: Boston, MA
Number of Direct Reports: 3
Supervisor: Board of Directors
Annual Earned Revenue: $1.1 MM
Total Employees: 9
We seek a passionate, highly experienced non-profit leader as Discovering Justice expands to empower a rising generation of leaders through an innovative civics curriculum. Discovering Justice utilizes courtrooms as classrooms and classrooms as civic spaces, encouraging agency, empathy, and voice in K-8 students across Massachusetts.
Each year, Discovering Justice works with K-8 students and teachers in more than 19 districts across the state. Discovering Justice provides teachers with civics curriculum, training, and professional development, and also offers experiential field trips and after school programs all designed to provide young people with the knowledge, tools, and resources they need to participate in democracy and extend civic learning into their own neighborhoods and communities.
Since its founding in 1998, thanks to the efforts of hundreds of supporters and volunteers — judges, lawyers, teachers, business leaders, vendors, students, and parents — more than 140,000 children and adults have taken part in Discovering Justice’s interactive civic education programs. We are proud and privileged to work with these individuals to help strengthen democracy by educating and inspiring the next generation.
Effective civic education also has long-term benefits. Research shows that students who take civics classes are 23% more likely to believe they are responsible for improving society and 14% more likely to vote than those who did not. As we prepare to expand our work programmatically and geographically in the coming years, we seek an Executive Director with exceptional team and organizational leadership skills and a collaborative and strengths-based approach.
You will be successful in this role if you can cultivate new opportunities, plan and support implementation of our overall growth and fundraising strategy, build and lead a healthy and high performing team, and predict and problem-solve gaps to position the organization for growth. An ideal candidate is a results-driven leader with demonstrated competence for guiding and managing an organization at a similar stage of development, size, complexity and trajectory.
As Executive Director, you will be responsible for overall strategic and operational leadership of the organization, including managing Discovering Justice staff, its Board of Directors, and legal partners. You will envision a path for programmatic and operational growth while working to build alignment and high quality program implementation in the shorter term.
This role reports to Discovering Justice’s Board of Directors and works in close partnership with our community, school and legal partners. The Executive Director will manage the staff team, including a Chief Operating Officer, Chief Program Officer, and Development Director. They, along with the Education Director comprise the leadership team.
Major functions & Responsibilities
As the Executive Director, you will be responsible for the following threads of work:
Organizational Leadership and Program Stewardship
- Lead the development and execution of a Strategic Plan, which will guide the organization’s work over the next 3-5 years, and monitor progress towards goals
- Serve as a respected public voice for civics education and law-related education for younger students and help develop and strengthen Discovering Justice’s distinctive approach
- Ensure ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors; serve as ex-officio of each committee; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for both ongoing local operations as well as for broader expansion
- Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents
- In collaboration with the Chief Program Officer, support partnerships with school districts, peer organizations, and other external stakeholders, positioning Discovering Justice as a leader in the civics education field
- In collaboration with the Chief Operating Officer and the Board Finance Committee, drive the organization’s economic model and sustainability strategies
- Support and foster a culture that embraces teamwork, transparency, seamless communication and mentorship for staff
Fundraising and Partnership Development
- Cultivate and steward critical relationships, such as legal partners, funders, and schools, to reach organizational scale and sustainability goals
- Execute ambitious but achievable annual and long-term plans for revenue generation and partnership creation
- Effectively engage the Board of Directors to provide ongoing support and engagement in the areas of community partnerships and resource development
- Work with the Development Director to refine all aspects of communications (from web presence to external relations) with the goal of creating a stronger brand
- Provide funders and partners with data, reports, and information to feel confident that their contributions are being deployed in a cost-effective and results-driven manner
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends and build Discovering Justice as a sought-after resource in the field of civic education
Qualifications & Experience
There are innumerable ways to learn, grow and excel professionally. We respect this when we review applications and take a broad look at the experience of each applicant. We want to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring to the work. This said, we are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you can demonstrate the majority of the qualifications and experiences listed below:
The Executive Director will be a strategic and dedicated champion of Discovering Justice. Energetic and enterprising, successful candidates will demonstrate deeply held respect and understanding of the power of civic education, even if their primary professional background is in another field. Demonstrated commitment to working with underserved populations in a direct service capacity preferred.
- Track record of effectively leading and scaling a performance- and outcomes-based organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
- Strong analytical skills and use of data to drive fundraising and partnership decisions and forecasting
- A proven track record and passion for nonprofit fundraising that is demonstrated in a commitment to maintaining current funders, a zest for cultivating new donors, an ability to generate new revenue streams, and a history of successfully taking organizations to the next level of sustained philanthropic support
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Ability to compel others to action as a key storyteller of our path to impact, priorities for growth and ongoing contributions to the communities and young people we serve
- Ability to build sustainable and productive partnerships with nonprofits, businesses, academic institutions, and city and state government agencies
- Self-motivated and inspirational problem solver with demonstrated ability to coach, manage, and develop high performing, diverse teams to achieve strategic objectives
- Experience in civics, education, or youth development. Bachelor’s Degree required, with an advanced degree preferred
Compensation & Benefits
Discovering Justice offers a comprehensive and generous benefits package. Our salary range is $140,000+, commensurate with experience.
To apply to this position, please have an updated resume ready and a thoughtfully written cover letter. You can find the online application here. Please contact us via email at [email protected] for any assistance needed in completing the application.
At Discovering Justice, we celebrate diversity, and our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve. As such, we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.